5 Ways to Help Your Team Manage Stress
Almost 3 out of 4 Australians are stressed at work. Yet research suggests only 1 in 2 employees would be honest with their boss if they were asked “Are you okay?” and they weren’t.
We all know the dangers of long-term stress and the obvious impact that work can have on how we feel. Here’s how you can help your team today.
- Make it normal to share – Engender a culture of openness and honesty. Share how you feel and encourage others to do the same.
- Encourage regular breaks – Get your people away from their desks regularly. We all benefit from physical change and mental breaks.
- Support health and wellbeing – Walk and talk meetings are superb for this. So is lunchtime group exercise.
- Nurture relationships – People perform better when they feel they belong. Build trust and push for positive collaboration.
- Be consistent and kind – Stress is often caused by a perceived lack of control and / or sudden change. Great managers are consistent with their approach and expectations. Even better ones also prioritise kindness.
It’s no accident that these tips will also lead to a better employee experience and a stronger employer brand. Remember – anyone can talk about it; be the manager who makes it happen.